Did you know that you can harness the power of the sun to heat your water? Solar thermal systems, also known as solar heating systems, absorb the sun’s rays and use this energy to heat water to 140ºF or higher, easily matching the production of traditional hot water heaters. These systems are not only environmentally friendly, but also energy efficient and cost effective.
There are two types of solar heating systems, direct and indirect.
- Direct Solar Heating: This system consists of collector pipes filled with water that are linked to an insulated storage tank. The sun directly heats the water in the pipes, which is then transported into the storage tank for use.
- Indirect Solar Heating: Rather than heating water directly, these systems utilize a use fluid with a low-freezing point to absorb radiant energy from the sun. This fluid is pumped through the collectors and a heat exchanger. This heats the water, which then flows into the home.
Radiant Heating Systems: Using Solar Energy to Heat your Home
Homeowners can even utilize solar thermal to heat their home. Instead of transferring heated water to a storage tank, radiant heating systems connect to a radiant floor or wall panel radiator.
Radiant heating systems are beneficial for several reasons, including:
- Energy Efficiency: Radiant heating systems are typically about 40% more efficient than forced air heating systems.
- Control: Radiant heating systems can be zoned, allowing you to control the temperature of each room.
- Comfort: Radiant floors distribute heat where it can naturally rise, evenly distributing heat.
Currently, more than 1.5 million homes and businesses in the United States have invested in solar heating systems. So what are you waiting for?
To learn more, please contact CQI Associates by calling 410-740-0667 or visit CQIAssociates.com today!
CQI Associates is a leader in energy and environmental consulting.
“We are saving about 10% vs what we would be paying without the coop. The customer service has been great. We had a problem early on with getting all three of our accounts in the coop and the consultant took care of us in a very professional manner. The best part about the coop is that we have some control. When the market was not favorable we did not enter into a contract. Well worth the cost.” – Art Widmann, CFP, Widmann Financial Services
You can also follow CQI on Facebook, Twitter, LikedIn, and Google+.